“Your kids don’t need to know who you were before you had them , they need to know who you wish you were, and they need to try to live up to that person. They’re gonna fall short, but it’s better they fall short of the fake you than the real you. “
Now, it may come to no surprise that I was the rebellious type pre-kids. I did a lot of things, that I am in no way proud of and I pray to God that my children never do the same. My mother always said “one day you will have a daughter that behaves ten times worse than you” and now I. Am. Terrified. My children are pretty rambunctious but my daughter is the definition of a wild child. And I am a bit concerned that she may follow in my badgal foot steps. Oh, Jesus take the wheel.
Quite honestly I am torn between the be honest with your kids so they don’t make the same mistakes you do or pretend like you were someone you weren’t and you ignore the fact that you made your parents stay up all night worrying about you. I finally comprehend the ‘when you have your own kids you’ll understand”, I get it… I totally get it.
So, naturally the person that I am I tend to be pretty real with my kids. But they look at me with so much love and admiration I can’t help but think that, maybe I don’t want them to know the mistakes I’ve made in the past. They look at me like I’m royalty (and I am sure that will all change once they hit puberty) and I don’t want them to see me in any other way. But, as the kids get older they will begin to question certain situations and if I don’t pre think my response, I will say something stupid. So, do I be honest and tell them the mistakes I have made? or do I pretend I was a good kid that never got into trouble? I’m thinking that I just want to avoid the entire scenario of dealing with bad kids/teens, so I feel the older they become I should enforce some rules.
RULES OF THE CASTLE
- Don’t do meth. (I’m assuming by the time they are teenagers I will have spent thousands of dollars on their teeth) and if they fuck up their teeth because of meth I will be livid.
- Don’t bring home a boyfriend of a week that you ‘love.’
- If I find out you are bullying anyone, I will embarrass the shit out of you.
- Make sure to shower and you’re not the smelly kid in class.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes, it’s not worth it.
- If someone hits you… Fuck them up.
- If you stay out past curfew, I will embarrass the shit out of you.
- Don’t tell me how to dress, you are lucky I am a good looking mother (refuse to say MILF to my children).
- You must honor your family! ( I got that one from mulan)
- Just be fucking good kids, I have anxiety.
~good vibes only~